Area of West Papua: 459 million hectares. This is 24% of Indonesia’s land area.
Population (2015 estimate): 4,020,900 This is just 2% of Indonesia’s population.1
Freeport, owner of the Grasberg mine, claims to pay $696 million in tax to the Indonesian government each year.
The gold and copper reserves in the Grasberg mine have an estimated value of $108 billion.4
- Indonesian government statistics (bps.go.id)
- Indonesian government statistics (bps.go.id), Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney, nin.tl/WP-social-indicators and UNICEF, nin.tl/HIV-Indonesia
- Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney: nin.tl/WP-demographics and Indonesian government statistics (bps.go.id)
- Asian Correspondent, nin.tl/Indonesia-freeport
- West Papua Action Network, nin.tl/violations-up
- Solomon Islands government, quoted at nin.tl/violations-condemned
- See, for example, nin.tl/UN-in-WP
- WWF, nin.tl/WWF-new-guinea